Al Ghazali, The Alchemist Of Happiness, A Film By Ovidio Salazar - View Trailer
Born in 1058 in Tus, Khorasan, in present-day Iran, Abu Hamid al-Ghazali was one of the most original thinkers the world has known. Besides being a major influence in the Muslim world, the West has also felt his effect. He influenced major figures of medieval philosophy such as Thomas Aquinas and Moses Maimonides, who shaped the philosophy of the Latin West. As the author of some 250 books on topics ranging from theology and ethics to metaphysics and philosophy, al-Ghazali came to be known as ?Proof of Islam?. For almost a thousand years he has served as an inspiration for spiritual seekers everywhere as he was someone, like the Buddha, willing to give up everything: wealth, position, family and comfort in order to search for Truth.
This film sets out to discover who al-Ghazali was and whether we, living in the 21st century, can still find relevance in his teaching.
"The film is a remarkable achievement, capturing not only the drama of Ghazali?s life and the texture of the world in which he lived, but also skilfully distilling the significance of major themes in his writings. This is no small feat: the art of dramatizing ideas. I cannot wait to show it in my courses on Medieval Muslim Thought." - FAROUK MITHA University of Victoria, Canada
- with Robert Powell as the voice of al-ghazali
- FEATURING: GHORBAN NADJAFI, DARYUSH ARJMAND, MITRA HAJJAR, ABDOLREZA KERMANI
- Director of Photography: Mahmoud Kalari
- Art Direction: Malak Khazai
- Screenplay: Simon van der Borgh
- Editor: Gabriela Enis
- Music: Dirk Campbell
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: TJ WINTER & PS GILDERS
- PRODUCED & DIRECTED BY OVIDIO SALAZAR
- SPECIAL FEATURES: ADDITIONAL INTERVIEWS WITH SHAYKH HAMZA YUSUF & DR. KARIM D. CROW
- Running Time 80mins Approx